Thursday, May 24, 2012

2.0 applications

I have created my classroom web page to be geared toward organization/communication. Students will use our classroom website to access other applications, resources, assignments, that allow them to communicate with others as well as my self, as well as become and active/engaged student. The applications I have chosen are:

Google calendars- Calendar
I chose this AP because I liked how easy it was for me, as a teacher, to be able to update this calendar in Gmail and have it automatically update to my web page. I also believe that having a month by month calendar on my web page that this will help keep students and patent's on task with assignments, projects, meetings, field trips, etc. Everyone seems to have a calendar these days, whether it is on paper or their phone, that it why I feel this application is very important.

Skype- Skype-Log in
I enjoy the flexibility with Skype. My students, as well as parents are welcome to create a skype account. I will allow myself to be available one-two nights a week for homework help and/or conferencing. The students can also use Skype to video chat with other classmates while they are at home, to collaborate and have group meetings about projects, homework, etc. Students can also share files with one another, as well as screen sharing. Parents and students can Skype via, computer, phone, TV, and even gaming councils. Skype does not have to be face to face, rather it can act more like a phone call as well.

Poll Everywhere-Polls
This was one of my favorite applications I have found. It is VERY easy to use, and fun to use. I can post a poll question to my students to engage them in new topics, to rate their understanding, and vote. I think my students will love this application because it gives them a chance to use their cell phone in class! Standard text rates to apply, but what student wouldn't want the chance to use their phone during class. I, myself can get instant feedback on students knowledge, thoughts, and ideas.

Collaborize Classroom-Collaborize Classroom
I chose this application because I like the idea of Posting a question/video for my students and have them comment and give feedback. Some students may not like to share their answers in class, and my hopes would be they would feel comfortable sharing on this web page. Students can comment on each others post, posing opportunities for further learning and discussion. This web page is an extension of my classroom so I can have students write about topics we will be discussing the next day, to access their prior knowledge on a particular subject. I can also publish the results of responses to use in class discussions later.

No comments:

Post a Comment