Thursday, May 31, 2012

Project Tomorrow Proposal

I would like my digital story to tell the story about the pros of using a cell phone in class. I would like to show the viewer both pros and cons of this topic from students, as well as teachers, ultimately persuading the viewer that there are many benefits of cell phones in the classroom. Transforming the idea that educators were afraid or hesitant to use this technology in the classroom, and that they were distracting students, rather than helping them learn, to the many benefits of using this technology in the classroom. I would like to use video/audio of students and teachers opinion, mixed with text, and numbers, since I am talking about cell phones. I think it would be great if the viewer could be interactive with this digital story as well. I would like them to be able to interact with this video by incorporating the use of the cell phone! At the end of the story they could use their cell to take a survey and get the viewers opinion! I would like to interview my cousins, both older and younger and get their opinions about using cell phones in the classroom. They would tell me if they think this is a good idea or bad idea, as well as what other ideas they have for utilizing the cell phone in the classroom, and even out of the classroom, maybe to discuss ideas with other classmates. I would also like to get teachers, those that maybe do use this technology in class, and those that are new to the idea, to get a range of opinions of how they view incorporating this technology into their classrooms. I think it would also be interesting to interview parents on this topic to gain their opinion about having their children use this technology in classrooms. Do parents think this will benefit their child, or distract them? I would like to research this topic fully, first by finding information about the first schools that used cell phones in class, and which applications teachers can use to incorporate this technology into their classroom. Secondly I would like to research why cell phones in the classroom got a bad reputation in the first place. Thirdly I will develop ideas for a plethora of uses of cell phones in the classroom, besides just texting, but for research purposes, and finding information quickly. Lastly, I would like to show the viewer how cell phones can enhance learning, and keep students engaged in class. At the end of the video I would like to get across how teachers become facilitators of the topics that are being taught in class, and having the students use their phones to discover some of the information them selves. Some of the sites I have been looking into are:

How Teachers Make Cell Phones Work in the Classroom. Tina Barseghian. May, 2012. Taken from http://blogs.kqed.org/mindshift/2012/05/how-teachers-make-cell-phones-work-in-the-classroom/. 

In the Digital Age, Welcoming Cell Phones in the Class. Mindshift. April, 2012. Taken from http://blogs.kqed.org/mindshift/2012/04/in-the-digital-age-welcoming-cell-phones-in-the-class/

Making Progress: Rethinking State and School District Policies Concerning Mobile Technologies and Social Media. COSN. Taken from http://www.cosn.org/Initiatives/ParticipatoryLearning/MakingProgress/tabid/12543/Default.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment