Thursday, May 17, 2012

The wicked, the protean, the opaque and the unstable -- wondering about technology...

An experience I had with a "wicked" technology problem was a time when a key popped off my keyboard on my laptop. I called one of the Dell technicians and to my surprise they were going to send me a new keyboard. The man gave me his number and told me to call him back when I received the keyboard in the mail, and he was going to walk me through how to disassemble the old keyboard and install the new one. A hundred screws later I had disassembled my entire computer and connected the new keyboard!! Only, when I went to reboot the computer, coincidentally my computer had a virus. The technician told me it had nothing to do with my new keyboard, ( I did not believe him). So then he had to transfer my call to another technician who could help me with my "new" problem. I was on and off the phone, on hold, pressing buttons I never knew existed, and still in the end the technician could not fix the problem and told me how to re-install my computer back to it's original state. I was very frustrated because I talked to countless numbers of people on the telephone giving me millions of directions about what button to press next, and the problem could still not be resolved.
Computers have grown so quickly and technology has advanced so quickly that there is simply not enough time to troubleshoot all of the problems one will encounter with a computer. Even though we, the people, have designed such machines, we are still not smart enough to fix the problem when such a "wicked" problem occurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment